Let imaginations run wild as students discover the exciting applications of mechanical engineering! Starting with step-by-step builds to introduce each of the simple machines, learners eventually advance their way to constructing creations of their own. They investigate levers, pulleys and inclined planes, and enhance critical thinking skills while building upon existing knowledge every day of camp.
Participants learn the importance of engineering and how it influences today’s society while being amazed at the structures designed and created during Simple Machines Camp!
Students: Up to 30
Contact Hours: 12+
- Summer camps
- Elementary classrooms
- After-school programs
- Half hour free webinar training for purchases of $500+
- One hour free webinar training for purchases of $1000+
- Additional training available for purchase
The camp comes with a bound Instructor Guide, 8 bound Student Build Books, a digital curriculum download and all the supplies needed for 12 days of activities:
- Tubs with lids: 4
- Inserts for organizing parts: 8
- Rubber bands: 1⁄4 lb
- Universal II fischertechnik® kits: 8
Print curriculum includes 1 Instructor Guide and 8 Student Build Books. Digital curriculum download comes with Instructor Guide only, which includes master copies of all student pages.
Digital curriculum download comes with Instructor’s Manual only, which includes master copies of all student curriculum pages.
- Curriculum for 12 activities. Each activity can accommodate a 1 hour segment, or can be adjusted for different time blocks
- Scientific tools for measurement, data collection, demonstration, and experimentation
- Advanced fishertechnik building manipulatives for engineering challenges
- Design booklets and step-by-step building instructions
- Storage containers
- Instructor guide
- Camp background information
- Collaboration and discussion tips
- Lesson extensions for differentiation
- Activity/assessment materials
Each Activity Guide Includes:
- Opening & Closing Discussion Topics
- Step-By-Step Activity Instructions
- Topic Background & Vocabulary
- Materials List
- Building Skills
- 1st Class Levers
- 2nd Class Levers
- 3rd Class Levers
- Wheel and Axle
- Fixed Pulleys
- Moveable Pulleys
- Inclined Planes
- Worm Gear
- Complex Machines
- Design the Ultimate Machine
Next Generation Science Standards*
NGSS 3-5 ETS1-1 Define a simple design problem reflecting a need or a want that includes specified criteria for success and constraints on materials, time, or cost.
NGSS 3-5 ETS1-2 Generate and compare multiple possible solutions to a problem based on how well each is likely to meet the criteria and constraints of the problem.
*NGSS is a registered trademark of Achieve. Neither Achieve nor the lead states and partners that developed the Next Generation Science Standards were involved in the production of this product, and do not endorse it.Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RST.6-8.3 Follow precisely a multistep procedure when carrying out experiments, taking measurements, or performing technical tasks.
© Copyright 2010. National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.
- Applying Past Knowledge to New Situations
- Creating, Imagining, Innovating
- Managing Impulsivity
- Striving for Accuracy
- Creativity and Innovation
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Initiative and Self-Direction
- Productivity and Accountability
© 2018 Partnership for 21st Century Learning (P21), p21.org. All Rights Reserved. P21 was not involved in the production of this product and does not endorse it.
Questions about the Simple Machines? Want to request a proposal for a purchase order?
Our STEM experts are here to help!