Engineering is a dynamic and innovative field constantly seeking the brightest minds of the future, and the Discover Engineering Kit developed by PCS Edventures is designed to cultivate the young engineers of tomorrow. In order to prepare students for rapidly evolving technology, this kit combines the latest methods proven by research to get students excited about learning. While introducing the basic concepts of engineering, activities in the Discover Engineering Kit foster confidence, critical thinking and other important 21st century skills.
In addition to using hands-on building manipulatives, Discover Engineering utilizes cutting-edge technology to engage students with a variety of learning styles. The 3D Interactive Build Curriculum (3DIC) allows users to move through build plans step-by-step at their own speed, and has the ability to highlight individual pieces for clarity. Compatible with any desktop computer or mobile device including tablets, the 3DIC transforms the way engineering can be taught with technology.
Projects in the Discover Engineering Kit are diverse in content covering topics such as gear trains, power ratios and complex machines. It is designed to be fun and engaging for students while they construct models such as trebuchets, cart launchers, transmission models and more! Each Discover Engineering kit, suitable for 1-4 students, is designed to meet the specific intellectual needs of students in grades 4-8 and be versatile for different educational environments and easy to utilize for educators.
PCS understands that a product is only as valuable as its curriculum. That is why each Discover Engineering kit comes with an exciting, advanced curriculum that is available both in print and digitally in a PDF format.
In addition to print and PDF formats, the newest curriculum is the 3DIC or 3D Interactive Curriculum. This innovative new program supplements the Discover Engineering kit and allows users to view project builds in an interactive 3D format. With various playback speeds, the ability to highlight individual pieces of each build, and step-by-step instruction, students can work at their own pace with clear instruction. Usable on any desktop computer or mobile device including tablets, 3DIC is excellent for a beginning engineering education.
- 642 fishertechnik™ Building Elements
- Compartmentalized Storage Bin with Lid
- Instructor Guide
- Student Guide
- 2 fishertechnik™ Building Skills Cards
The Discover Engineering Club Pack comes with five (5) individual kits, each of which is suitable for 1-4 students. To get most for your money, and your learning environment, choose the Club Pack! This bundle is perfect for small classrooms with up to 20 students, after-school programs, homeschool groups and more. Get your students engineering today!
The Discover Engineering Classroom Pack includes eight (8) individual kits, which are stored in a high-quality hardwood furniture unit with rolling casters. These furniture units are made specially to house these kits and are both beautiful and strong, designed for many years of use. Each kit, is meant to be used with 1-4 students, so the Classroom Pack can be utilized with groups of 16-64 students!
Engineering Learning Modules
- Wheel & Axle
- Power Transfer
- Flexible Power Systems
- Gear Trains
- Worm Gears
- Complex Machines
- Speed Ratios
- Power Ratios
- Drive Train
- Power Transfer
Standards & Alignment
Next Generation Science Standards
MS-ETS1-1: Define the criteria and constraints of a design problem with sufficient precision to ensure a successful solution, taking into account relevant scientific principles and potential impacts on people and the natural environment that may limit possible solutions.
MS-ETS1-2: Evaluate competing design solutions using a systematic process to determine how well they meet the criteria and constraints of the problem.
MS-ETS1-3: Analyze data from tests to determine similarities and differences among several design solutions to identify the best characteristics of each that can be combined into a new solution to better meet the criteria for success.
ELA-LITERACY.RST.6-8.3 Follow precisely a multistep procedure when carrying out experiments, taking measurements, or performing technical task
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.4.NF.A.2 Compare two fractions with different numerators and different denominators, e.g. by creating common denominators or numerators, or by comparing to a benchmark fraction such as 1/2.
Click image below to view PDF
Discover Robotics & Physics
The study of energy and motion instantly becomes a favorite of students with this project-based learning series! By incorporating robotics with the expansive subject area of physics, The Discover Robotics and Physics kit uses experiential projects to instill real-life knowledge. The kit has been expertly structured to support essential problem-solving and collaborative skills while students seek solutions to challenges. Students move through the curriculum series by employing the iterative design process to formulate and develop a deep understanding of the subject area.
By utilizing high-quality fishertechnik ® building manipulatives, any learning environment will have the ability to cater to students with different learning needs and speeds. As with all PCS Edventures developed curriculum, the overarching objective is to cultivate intrinsic motivation, deep conceptual foundations and a sense of intellectual empowerment--start the journey today with the Discover Robotics and Physics Kit!
- PCS Physics LABCards (4 Levels) w/poly-pocket sleeve for storage
- Physics & Robotics build instructions
- Advanced engineering building manipulatives from fishertechnik ®
- Specialized PCS Robotic Controller - The Brain™
- The Brain™ & Cortex user guide
- Compartmentalized Gratnell storage bin with lid
The Discover Robotics & Physics Club Pack comes with five (5) individual kits, each of which is suitable for 1-3 students. To get most for your money, and your learning environment, choose the Club Pack! This bundle is perfect for small classrooms with up to 15 students, after-school programs, homeschool groups and more. Get your students programming with physics concepts today!
The Discover Robotics & Physics Classroom Pack includes 16 individual kits, which are stored in a high-quality hardwood furniture unit with rolling casters. These furniture units are made specially to house these kits and are both beautiful and strong, designed for many years of use. Each kit, is meant to be used with 1-3 students, so the Classroom Pack can be utilized with groups of 16-48 students!
Available As LABCards Only
With the use of the PCS LABCards, educators can take advantage of a differentiated instruction model where challenging concepts are broken down so that students can quickly master skills and move at their own pace towards a final performance task design project. Each LABCard is assigned a point value for quick and easy assessment of progress through each level and to provide students with immediate recognition of their accomplishments.
The LABCard approach is intended to provide educators with a tool that enables a more student-directed experience. Educators are more empowered to provide more facilitation, coaching and mentoring as students work independently, in their own fashion. Almost all learning environments including after-school programs, clubs, and a wide variety of classroom models, can be supported using the LABCard model.
- Air pressure
- Energy Transfer
- The Brain and Cortex-simple motor commands
- Potential Energy
- Advanced Motor Commands
- Collisions and elasticity and programming sensors
- Degrees of freedom
- Angular acceleration
- Design optimization
Standards & Alignment
- Creative Thinking
- Critical Thinking
- Technology Literacy
- Thinking flexibly
- Applying past knowledge to new situations
- Remaining open to continuous learning
- Managing impulsivity
- Creating, imagining, innovating
- Taking responsible risks
- Gathering data through all senses
- Creativity and Innovation
- Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, and Decision Making
Common Core Standards
- CCSS.Math.Practice.MP1 Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- CCSS.Math.Practice.MP4 Model with mathematics.
- CCSS.Math.Practice.MP5 Use appropriate tools strategically.
- CCSS.Math.Practice.MP7 Look for and make use of structure.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.6-8.3 Follow precisely a multistep procedure when carrying out experiments, taking measurements, or performing technical tasks.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.6-8.4 Determine the meaning of symbols, key terms, and other domain-specific words and phrases as they are used in a specific scientific or technical context relevant to grades 6-8 texts and topics.
- 4-PS3-1: Use evidence to construct an explanation relating the speed of an object to the energy of that object
- 4-PS3-2: Make observations to provide evidence that energy can be transferred from place to place by sound, light, heat, and electric currents.
- 4-PS3-3: Ask questions and predict outcomes about the changes in energy that occur when objects collide.
- 4-PS3-4: Apply scientific principles to design, test, and refine a device that converts energy from one form to another.
- MS-PS2-2: Plan an investigation to provide evidence that the change in an object’s motion depends on the sum of the forces on the object and the mass of the object.
- MS-PS3-2: Develop a model to describe that when the arrangement of objects interacting at a distance changes, different amounts of potential energy are stored in the system.
- MS-ETS1-1: Define the criteria and constraints of a design problem with sufficient precision to ensure a successful solution, taking into account relevant scientific principles and potential impacts on people and the natural environment that may limit possible solutions.
- MS-ETS1-2: Evaluate competing design solutions using a systematic process to determine how well they meet the criteria and constraints of the problem.
- MS-ETS1-3: Analyze data from tests to determine similarities and differences among several design solutions to identify the best characteristics of each that can be combined into a new solution to better meet the criteria for success.
- MS-ETS1-4: Develop a model to generate data for iterative testing and modification of a proposed object, tool, or process such that an optimal design can be achieved.
- MS-PS2-1: Apply Newton’s third law to design a solution to a problem involving the motion of two colliding objects.
- MS-PS3-5: Construct, use, and present arguments to support the claim that when the kinetic energy of an object changes, energy is transferred to or from that object.
Cortex Programming Software
The Cortex™ software application powers The Brain robotic controller. With user-friendly, drag and drop programming, The Cortex is intuitive and fun for the beginner, and sufficiently robust and versatile for the advanced robotics student.
Based on the Arduino programming language, Cortex software is compatible with Windows, Os X, iOS and Android operating systems. Use the Cortex on your PC, Mac, iPad or Android tablet.
Color coded functionality, annotated user tips, and logical user interface make The Cortex easy to learn and master. Use Cortex with tablets to take advantage of the virtual controls and virtual sensors.
When used with Bluetooth enabled devices, programming code created on the Cortex can be communicated wirelessly with The Brain™ controller, through the use of a cloud-based code compiler (internet connectivity required).
Software Download Links
Download the Cortex™ programming software for free! This software is for controlling the PCS Brain version 5.0 and up.
Requirements: Android 2.3 or later
*Connect your dongle through the bluetooth settings on your tablet
Requirements: iOS 7.0 or later
*Connect your dongle through the Cortex software.
Instructions can be found on the reverse of yellow card 1 of the Discover Robotics and Programming I LABCards
Download Instructions for Windows, OSX, and Android
Upon placing an order for the free download, you will receive a download link for which ever software products you have selected.
Download Instructions for iOS
The latest version of the free Cortex for iOS app is only available directly from the iTunes App Store. Please visit the provided link using your iOS device to install Cortex 5.0 for iOS.
Please note: Cortex for mobile applications is for tablet devices only, not smart phones.
3DIC - Discover Engineering Software
Compatible with Mac and PC operating systems, 3DIC™ can be uploaded onto any mobile device or desktop. Each Discover Engineering Kit comes with 2 licenses (or downloads) of the 3DIC™, meaning you have the ability to download 3DIC™ onto two separate devices. You can also purchase additional individual licenses to download 3DIC™ onto more devices.
To purchase additional downloads, enter the quantity desired below. Once you have been directed through the payment process, a download page will be available where you may select which operating system and version you would like to download to your device.
All downloads will be managed through the account you have setup with a username and password. This gives you the flexibility to purchase licenses and then return to the site later to download them via your account.
Copyright © 2017 PCS edventures.com.