BrickLAB Girls Can Build
Historically, girls have strayed from many of the STEM fields of study and career options. Now, is the time for change! With STEM fields growing faster than any other industry, the gap can be filled with creative and passionate girls. Getting girls excited about these topics at a young age is the answer, and BrickLAB Girls Can Build is the key to change. By using easy-to-use building materials in addition to collaborative activities, BrickLAB Girls Can Build encourages girls to explore, experiment, communicate and problem-solve together.
The BrickLAB Girls Can Build product line comes with 6 one hour segments designed for the primary level grades K-2, as well as 6 one hour segments designed for the secondary level grades 3-5. Each activity of the series uses interest-based learning to develop an understanding of the wide variety of STEM topics. Girls explore urban planning, structural design, physics, math, and storytelling which enables them to gain critical thinking and logical reasoning skills. Envision the possibilities for change with BrickLAB Girls Can Build.
Physical Science, Life Science, Engineering Design, Math Connections, English Language Arts Connections
Students: Up to 30
Contact Hours: 13+
- Classrooms looking for hands-on science and engineering lessons
- After-school programs and clubs
- Homeschool environments
- Blind Building Communication Challenge
- Flash Flipping Simple Machines
- Butterfly Symmetry
- Bridge Loading Constraint Challenge
- Butterfly Life Cycle
- Urban Planning
- Chain Mail Building Communication Challenge
- Logic Puzzles
- Architecture and Famous Structures
- Storytelling with Bricks
- Balancing Banji
- Dream Home
- Half-hour free webinar training for purchases of $500+
- One-hour free webinar training for purchases of $1000+
- Inquire about additional training options
BrickLAB Girls Can Build comes with two Instructor Guides one with 6 lessons for K-2 and another with 6 more lessons for 3-5, 13 printed sets of student pages and all the supplies needed for all 12 lessons:
- Expanded BrickLAB Set (10 boxes of 650+ bricks plus an additional 5 boxes of vibrant colored bricks combine for over 10,000 BrickLAB bricks)
- Brick Separator - 1
- Bag of cotton balls - 1
- Box of paper clips - 1
- Dry erase markers - 12
- Dry erase page pockets - 13
- Headband blindfolds - 6
- Masking tape - 1
- Measuring tape - 6
- Mesh bag for washing bricks - 1
- Muslin bags for distributing bricks - 12
- Paint stir sticks - 14
- Ping pong balls - 6
- Stopwatch - 1
- Brightly colored and long-lasting rolling storage
- Set of Brick Charade Cards
Next Generation Science Standards*
- NGSS K-2-ETS1-2 Develop a simple sketch, drawing, or physical model to illustrate how the shape of an object helps it function as needed to solve a given problem.
- NGSS 3-PS2-1 Plan an investigation to provide evidence of the effects of balanced and unbalanced forces on the motion of an object.
- NGSS 3-5-ETS1-1 Define a simple design problem reflecting a need or a want that includes specified criteria for success and constraints on materials, time, or cost.
Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.2.2 Write informative/explanatory texts about a topic, use facts and definitions to develop points, and provide a concluding statement or section.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.2.3 Write narratives in which they recount a well-elaborated event or short sequence of events, include details to describe actions, thoughts, and feelings, use temporal words to signal event order, and provide a sense of closure.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.2.1 Participate in collaborative conversations with diverse partners about Grade 2 topics and texts with peers and adults in small and large groups:
- Follow agreed-upon rules for discussions (e.g., gaining the floor in respectful ways, listening to others with care, speaking one at a time about the topics and texts under discussion).
- Build on others' talk in conversations by linking their comments to the remarks of others.
- Ask for clarification and further explanation as needed about the topics and texts under discussion.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.2.3 Ask and answer questions about what a speaker says in order to clarify comprehension, gather additional information, or deepen understanding of a topic or issue.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.2.4 Tell a story or recount an experience with appropriate facts and relevant, descriptive details, speaking audibly in coherent sentences.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.2.5 Create audio recordings of stories or poems; add drawings or other visual displays to stories or recounts of experiences when appropriate to clarify ideas, thoughts, and feelings.
Common Core State Standards (CCSS) for Mathematics
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.MD.A.1 Measure the length of an object by selecting and using appropriate tools such as rulers, yardsticks, meter sticks, and measuring tapes.
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.3.MD.C.5 Recognize area as an attribute of plane figures and understand concepts of area measurement.
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.3.MD.D.8 Solve real world and mathematical problems involving perimeters of polygons, including finding the perimeter given the side lengths, finding an unknown side length, and exhibiting rectangles with the same perimeter and different areas or with the same area and different perimeters.
- CCSS.Math.Content.4.G.A.3 Recognize a line of symmetry on a two-dimensional figure such that the figure can be folded along the line into matching parts. Identify symmetric figures and draw lines of symmetry.
© Copyright 2010. National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.
- ITEEA #1 Recognize how tools and machines can be helpful or harmful.
- ITEEA #9 Develop an understanding of the engineering design process.
© 2018 International Technology and Engineering Educators Association (ITEEA). All Rights Reserved. ITEEA was not involved in the production of this product and does not endorse it.
Questions about the BrickLAB Girls Can Build? Want to request a proposal for a purchase order?
Our STEM experts are here to help!