- Curriculum Topics
- The 3DIC
- Materials Included
- Spec Sheet
- Standards & Alignment
- Request Proposal
The engineering field is dynamic, innovative and constantly seeking the brightest minds. In Discover Engineering, get ready to cultivate the young engineers of tomorrow. Geared to bolster student literacy with rapidly evolving technology, this kit combines the latest research-based methods to get learners excited about STEM. While introducing the basic concepts of engineering, the activities in Discover Engineering foster student confidence, critical-thinking and other important 21st-century skills.
In addition to using hands-on building manipulatives, Discover Engineering utilizes cutting-edge technology to engage with a variety of learning styles. The 3D Interactive Build Curriculum (3DIC) allows users to move through step-by-step build plans at their own speed, and has the ability to highlight individual pieces for clarity. Compatible with any desktop computer or mobile device, the 3DIC transforms the way engineering can be taught with technology.
With diverse projects covering topics such as gear trains, power ratios and complex machines, Discover Engineering is designed to be fun and engaging as students construct trebuchets, cart launchers, transmission models and more! Each Discover Engineering kit, suitable for 1-4 students, is easy to implement, designed to meet the specific intellectual needs of learners in grades 4-8 and is versatile in its ease-of-use in different educational environments. Understanding that a product is only as valuable as its curriculum, each Discover Engineering kit comes with an exciting, advanced curriculum that is available both in print and as a PDF.
Engineering Learning Modules
- Wheel & Axle
- Power Transfer
- Flexible Power Systems
- Gear Trains
- Worm Gears
- Complex Machines
- Speed Ratios
- Power Ratios
- Drive Train
In addition to print and PDF curriculum, each Discover Engineering Kit includes licenses to 3DIC (3D Interactive Curriculum). This innovative program supplements the Discover Engineering kit and allows users to view project builds in an interactive 3D format. With various playback speeds, the ability to highlight individual pieces of each build, and step-by-step instruction, students can work at their own pace with clear instruction. Usable on any desktop computer or mobile device including tablets, 3DIC is excellent for a beginning engineering education.
- 642 fishertechnik™ Building Elements
- Compartmentalized Storage Bin with Lid
- Instructor Guide
- Student Guide
- 12 Build Plans
The Discover Engineering Club Pack comes with five (5) individual kits, each of which is suitable for 1-4 students. To get most for your money, and your learning environment, choose the Club Pack! This bundle is perfect for small classrooms with up to 20 students, after-school programs, homeschool groups and more. Get your students engineering today!Grades: 4-8 Students: Up to 6 per kit Contact Hours: 25+
The Discover Engineering Classroom Pack includes eight (8) individual kits, which are stored in a high-quality hardwood furniture unit with rolling casters. These furniture units are made specially to house these kits and are both beautiful and strong, designed for many years of use. Each kit, is meant to be used with 1-4 students, so the Classroom Pack can be utilized with groups of 16-64 students!Grades: 4-8 Students: Up to 6 per kit Contact Hours: 25+
Common Core State Standards for Math and Language Arts
- ELA-LITERACY.RST.6-8.3 Follow precisely a multistep procedure when carrying out experiments, taking measurements, or performing technical task
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.4.NF.A.2 Compare two fractions with different numerators and different denominators, e.g. by creating common denominators or numerators, or by comparing to a benchmark fraction such as 1/2.
© Copyright 2010. National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.
Next Generation Science Standards
- MS-ETS1-1: Define the criteria and constraints of a design problem with sufficient precision to ensure a successful solution, taking into account relevant scientific principles and potential impacts on people and the natural environment that may limit possible solutions.
- MS-ETS1-2: Evaluate competing design solutions using a systematic process to determine how well they meet the criteria and constraints of the problem.
- MS-ETS1-3: Analyze data from tests to determine similarities and differences among several design solutions to identify the best characteristics of each that can be combined into a new solution to better meet the criteria for success.
NGSS is a registered trademark of Achieve. Neither Achieve nor the lead states and partners that developed the Next Generation Science Standards were involved in the production of this product, and do not endorse it.
Questions about the Discover Engineering? Want to request a proposal for a purchase order?
Our STEM experts are here to help!