- Materials Included
- Curriculum Topics
- Standards & Alignment
- Spec Sheet
- About the Author
- Request Proposal
It's a Pirate's Life For Me!
From land-lubber to swash-buckler, it’s the pirate’s life for me! Cast-off into the seven seas as students work together to navigate its treacherous depths, engaging in STEM-focused experiments, hands-on design trials and engaging group discussions. Set the scene each day with exciting stories that engage their senses, curiosity and critical thinking skills. Then, the merry bunch of misfits works together with the rest of their crew to accomplish challenging tasks like forging catapults, tying knots and fashioning maps to hidden treasure! In Pirate Camp, action, adventure and discovery await you at every turn!
Digital Download for Pirate Camp only $129.00!
*If you already own an Edventures BrickLAB, the digital curriculum download is a great way to utilize what you already have. Using your BrickLAB and supplementing with a few additional materials, (seen in the Includes tab) you are ready to get started with your Pirate Camp adventure! Digital download is for Instructor Curriculum only, which includes master copies for all student curriculum sheets.Grades: 1-3 Students: Up to 30 Contact Hours: 12+
- Summer camps
- Elementary classrooms
- After-school programs
- Homeschool environments
- Half hour free webinar training for purchases of $500+
- One hour free webinar training for purchases of $1000+
- Additional training available for purchase
- Half a PCS BrickLAB
- Sterilite tub with lid (18 gal) - 1
- Brick Separator - 1
- Colored pencils (box of 12) - 5
- Dry erase markers (pack of 12) - 3
- Pirate Pockets (heavy duty dry erase page protectors) - 31
- Roll of yellow Duct Tape - 1
- Mesh bag (for brick cleaning) - 1
- Metal washers - 50
- Modeling clay (1 lb box) - 2
- Muslin bags - 31
- Name tags (box of 50) - 1
- Pencil sharpeners - 5
- Rope (50 ft, 3/8" nylon) - 1
- Plastic bins (6 qt) - 5
- Roll of clear tape - 1
- Expanding plastic file folder - 1
- Pirate Camp Instructor Manual - 1
- Full set of printed student handouts - 74
Digital curriculum download comes with Instructor’s Manual only, which includes master copies of all student curriculum pages.
Each Activity Guide Includes:
- Opening & Closing Discussion Topics
- Step-By-Step Activity Instructions
- Topic Background & Vocabulary
- Materials List
- Becoming a Pirate
- Pirate Ship Build
- Tippy Raft Design Challenge
- Treasure Maps
- Maps and Pacing
- Treasure Hunt
- Under Siege Design Challenge
- Sea Shanties
- Fun & Games!
NGSS K-2-ETS1-1 Ask questions, make observations, and gather information about a situation people want to change to define a simple problem that can be solved through the development of a new or improved object or tool.
NGSS K-2-ETS1-2 Develop a simple sketch, drawing, or physical model to illustrate how the shape of an object helps it function as needed to solve a given problem.
NGSS 3-5-ETS1-3 Plan and carry out fair tests in which variables are controlled and failure points are considered to identify aspects of a model or prototype that can be improved.
NGSS K-2-ETS1-3 Analyze data from tests of two objects designed to solve the same problem to compare the strengths and weaknesses of how each performs.
NGSS 2-ESS2-2 Develop a model to represent the shapes and kinds of land and bodies of water in an area.
NGSS 2-PS1-1 Plan and conduct an investigation to describe and classify different kinds of materials by their observable properties.
NGSS 2-PS1-2 Analyze data obtained from testing different materials to determine which materials have the properties that are best suited for an intended purpose.
NGSS 3-PS2-2 Make observations and/or measurements of an object’s motion to provide evidence that a pattern can be used to predict future motion.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.1.7 Use the illustrations and details in a text to describe its key ideas.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.SL.2.2 Recount or describe key ideas or details from a text read aloud or information presented orally or through other media
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.SL.3.4 Report on a topic or text, tell a story, or recount an experience with appropriate facts and relevant, descriptive details, speaking clearly at an understandable pace.
- Applying Past Knowledge to New Situations
- Creating, Imagining, Innovating
- Finding Humor
- Gathering Data Through All Senses
- Listening and Understanding with Empathy
- Managing Impulsivity
- Questioning and Posing Problems
- Responding with Wonderment and Awe
- Striving For Accuracy
- Taking Responsible Risks
- Thinking and Communicating with Clarity Precision
- Thinking Flexibly
- Thinking Interdependently
- Communication and Collaboration
- Creativity and Innovation
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Flexibility and Adaptability
- Information, Media, and Technology Literacy
- Initiative and Self-Direction
- Leadership and Responsibility
- Productivity and Accountability
- Social and Cross-Cultural Skills
Hailing from Wisconsin, Beth Schadd moved to Idaho in 2008 in search of adventure and a Master’s degree in Environmental Science and Education from the University of Idaho. As an educator, she has worked with children of all ages in the outdoors and the classroom, as well as coaching various sports.
Beth has developed experiential curriculum for science centers, museums, day camps, and outdoor programs. In 2013, she traveled to China to lead outdoor and adventure camps. Prior to moving to Idaho, Beth worked in labs studying mosquitoes and environmental health, and managed clinical trials. Though she will always be a Cheese Head at heart, she has embraced the great outdoors of the West, enjoying snowshoeing, mountain biking and backpacking, and has become an avid stand up paddleboarder.
Questions about the Pirate Camp? Want to request a proposal for a purchase order?
Our STEM experts are here to help!