BrickLAB Genetics Camp
If Aunt Irene and Uncle Charles both have blue eyes, could their brand new baby have brown eyes? By the end of this 12-Day camp, students will be equipped to answer questions like these and more as they explore the fascinating world of genetics and heredity. Using PCS BrickLAB as a hands-on tool for demonstration, students build model families to explore the concepts of heredity and construct their own strands of DNA as they delve into the microscopic level of learning.
Exploring the basics of inheritance, the intricate coding of genes, and the impacts of mutations in DNA transcription illustrates how each form of life is special and distinctive. Students participate in experiential, hands-on activities to apply concepts in tangible ways and gain a more comprehensive view of how these concepts apply to the real world!
Digital Curriculum Download for BrickLAB Genetics only $129.00!
*If you already own an Edventures BrickLAB, the digital curriculum download is a great way to utilize what you already have. Using your BrickLAB and supplementing with a few additional materials, (seen in the Includes tab) you are ready to get started with your BrickLAB Genetics adventure! Digital download is for Instructor Curriculum only, which includes master copies for all student curriculum sheets.Grades: 6-8 Students: Up to 30 Contact Hours: 12+
- Curriculum for 12 activities. Each activity can accommodate a 1 hour segment, or can be adjusted for different time blocks.
- PCS BrickLAB - over 7,000 high quality building bricks
- Dry Erase Boards and Markers
- Storage Tub
- Hidden Instructions Instructor guide
- Camp background information
- Collaboration and discussion tips
- Lesson extensions for differentiation
- Activity and assessment materials
- Summer camps
- Elementary classrooms
- After-school programs
- Homeschool environments
- Half hour free webinar training for purchases of $500+
- One hour free webinar training for purchases of $1000+
- Additional training available for purchase
- BrickLAB Genetics Camp Curriculum - 1
- Instructor Guide PDF - 1
- Student Guide PDF - 15
- PCS BrickLAB - 1
- Dry erase pockets - 15
- Dry erase markers - 15
- Muslin bags - 15
- Mesh bag - 1
- Student activity sheets - 15
Digital curriculum download comes with Instructor’s Manual only, which includes master copies of all student curriculum pages.
- Trait Distribution
- Dominant vs. Recessive
- What is a Code?
- Introduction to DNA Coding
- Genes and Heredity
- Expanding the Alphabet
- The Multi-Tiered Code
- The Double Helix
Each Activity Guide Includes:
- Materials List
- Schedule of Activities
- Topic Background Information & Vocabulary
- Step-By-Step Activity Instructions
- Opening & Closing Discussion Questions
- Extension Activities
Next Generation Science Standards
MS-LS3-1 Develop and use a model to describe why structural changes to genes (mutations) located on chromosomes may affect proteins and may result in harmful, beneficial, or neutral effects to the structure and function of the organism.
MS-LS3-2 Develop and use a model to describe why asexual reproduction results in offspring with identical genetic information and sexual reproduction results in offspring with genetic variation.
Habits of Mind
- Applying Past Knowledge to New Situations
- Creating, Imagining, Innovating
- Gathering Data Through All the Senses
- Questioning and Posing Problems
- Remaining Open to Continuous Learning
- Responding with Wonderment and Awe
- Striving for Accuracy
- Thinking and Communicating with Clarity and Precision
- Thinking Flexibly
- Thinking Interdependently
21st Century Skills
- Communication and Collaboration
- Creativity and Innovation
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Flexibility and Adaptability
- Initiative and Self-Direction
- Productivity and Accountability
Questions about the BrickLAB Genetics Camp? Want to request a proposal for a purchase order?
Our STEM experts are here to help!