Flying Disc Camp
Go long! Since 700 B.C., flying discs have been making a name for themselves. In this high flying camp, students zoom through the disc’s historic past while learning valuable physics concepts. While enjoying the fresh air, they investigate how discs are only able to fly because of spin (lift), angular momentum (thrust), shape (drag) and weight (gravity). With different shapes and sizes of flying objects, participants learn the most effective throwing, flying and catching techniques, gaining a crucial understanding of the four forces that affect all objects in flight.
During this 12-lesson camp, learners capture a thorough knowledge of founding physics concepts, capping off the last day with an exciting game of STEM ultimate frisbee to test their newly acquired skills!
Digital Download for Flying Disc only $129.00!
Students: Up to 30
Contact Hours: 12+
- Summer camps
- Elementary classrooms
- After-school programs
- Homeschool environments
- Half hour free webinar training for purchases of $500+
- One hour free webinar training for purchases of $1000+
- Additional training available for purchase
- Plastic storage container (18 gal) - 1
- #2 pencils (12 pack) - 3
- Paper plates - 350
- Masking tape (60 yds) - 2
- White paper (8.5"x11") - 500
- Scissors (kids) - 15
- Boomerangs - 5
- Flying rings - 5
- Flying cylinders - 5
- Plastic cones - 12
- Numbered cones - 2
- Paper plates - 75
- Flying discs (frisbees) - 15
- Flying disc instructor manual - 1
Digital curriculum download comes with Instructor's Manual only, which includes master copies of all student curriculum pages.
- Curriculum for 12 activities. Each activity can accommodate a 1 hour segment, or can be adjusted for different time blocks
- Tools for documenting recordings, observations, and data
- Materials of all shapes and sizes for physics experimentation
- Instructor guide
- Camp background information
- Collaboration and discussion tips
- Lesson extensions for differentiation
- Activity/ assessment materials
Each Activity Guide Includes:
- Opening & Closing Discussion Questions
- Step-By-Step Activity Instructions
- Topic Background & Vocabulary
- Materials List
- The History of the Flying Disc
- Flying Rings
- Origami Flying Discs
- Intro to Throwing and Catching Techniques
- Statue Flying Disc
- Flying Tic Tac Toe
- Disc Golf
- Play Ultimate Disc
- Play "Guts"
- Ultimate Tournament
- Ultimate Tournament
NGSS MS-PS2-2 Plan an investigation to provide evidence that the change in an object's motion depends on the sum of the forces on the object and mass of the object.
NGSS MS-PS3-5 Construct, use, and present arguments to support the claim that when the kinetic energy of an object changes, energy is transferred to or from the object.
NGSS MS‐ETS1‐1 Define the criteria and constraints of a design problem with sufficient precision to ensure a successful solution, taking into account relevant scientific principles and potential impacts on people and the natural environment that may limit possible solutions.
NGSS MS‐ETS1‐2 Evaluate competing design solutions using a systematic process to determine how well they meet the criteria and constraints of the problem.
NGSS MS‐ETS1‐3 Analyze data from tests to determine similarities and differences among several design solutions to identify the best characteristics of each that can be combined into a new solution to better meet the criteria for success.
NGSS MS‐ETS1‐4 Develop a model to generate data for iterative testing and modification of a proposed object, tool, or process such that an optimal design can be achieved.
- Applying Past Knowledge to New Situations
- Creating, Imagining, Innovating
- Gathering Data Through All The Senses
- Managing Impulsivity
- Questioning and Posing Problems
- Remaining Open to Continuous Learning
- Responding with Wonderment and Awe
- Striving for Accuracy
- Taking Responsible Risks
- Thinking and Communicating with Clarity and Precision
- Thinking Flexibly
- Thinking Interdependently
- Communication and Collaboration
- Creativity and Innovation
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Flexibility and Adaptability
- Initiative and Self-Direction
- Productivity and Accountability
- Social and Cross-Cultural Skills
Questions about the Flying Disc Camp? Want to request a proposal for a purchase order?
Our STEM experts are here to help!